Mark W Munger is a distinguished corporate executive and consultant with a rich history of leadership in multiple technology-driven organizations. His wide-ranging expertise and successful projects span across diverse industries, including technology, hospitality, gaming, smart buildings, IoT, clean energy, fintech, construction, retail, government, regulatory, and healthcare.
Mark’s career is characterized by a unique blend of leadership acumen, deep technical knowledge, unwavering innovation, and a strong operational foundation. Whether in roles as a Vice President (VP), Chief Executive Officer (CxO), or trusted consultant, he has consistently orchestrated transformative initiatives at both the IT and corporate levels.
Mark’s consultancy services extend to advising startups and contributing thought leadership to industry publications. Notably, he has recently been engaged in long-term CxO and director roles, underscoring his ability to deliver sustained value to organizations. While his personal blog occasionally receives updates, it takes a back seat to his primary focus on client work.
He is a firm believer in structured goal setting using OKRs and starting with Why. Favorite authors include Jim Collins, Simon Sinek, John Doerr, and Ray Dalio. The mentorship of these authors has formed many of Mark’s views on company management and culture.
Over the span of three decades, Mark has been instrumental in guiding companies through growth and transformative phases across a spectrum of technical and business domains. His unwavering entrepreneurial drive fuels his remarkable success, as he actively seeks out opportunities to empower distinctive businesses to flourish. What sets Mark apart is the breadth of his business and technology expertise, enabling him to establish connections that transcend individual industries.
As a dedicated self-learner, Mark has delved into and applied various business models throughout his journey, whether it be in founding, operating, or successfully selling these enterprises. His commitment to continuous growth and innovation is a driving force behind his accomplishments.
Mark’s extensive practical experience has matured through numerous technology transitions and industry shifts. Positioned as a trailblazer at the forefront of these trends, he has acquired firsthand knowledge and achieved proficiency across a myriad of arenas, including:
- Transition from centralized to distributed computing (1980s)
- Starting early as a founding staff member of the first microcomputer database magazine, he gained exceptional knowledge of microcomputer databases learning to make them relevant and expandable into business environments. (1982) [note: this was before graduating high school]
- An early networking engineer working with DEC and Novell products, he connected people and information through Local Area Networks (LAN) for enhanced communication and access to data. (1983)
- Gaining experience as a consultant, educator, and speaker, he developed a deep understanding of networked server architecture by working with HP Labs to introduce the first network-specific servers. He traveled the world teaching dealers and customers about new technology. (1990)
- As part of the HP/Novell relationships, he developed and taught fault tolerance design at trade shows and conferences. (1991)
- Transition from analog circuit based to digital VOIP communications
- At the forefront of the VoIP transition, Mark sought out and became a dealer for Selsius Systems in 1998. Selsius created the first Ethernet and VoIP telephone. Selsius was acquired by Cisco and Mark continued to help create a market to integrate commercial VOIP phone systems in businesses working with Cisco and Cisco partners.
- Transition from multiple technologies into one converged network
- The technical architect for one of the first fully converged hotels, Hotel 1000 Seattle, Mark designed a system uniting all technologies into one single backbone and network.
- Working with Cisco Workplace Resources and commercial real estate building system vendors, Mark developed and taught the integration of building systems. As the technical architect and project manager for Battery Wharf Boston, Battery Wharf won an industry award for its use of building systems integration. (2008)
- Transitioned from physical to virtual server computing
- Working with Cisco UCS and VMWare virtualization, Mark and his partners virtualized over 100 servers serving several hotels and casinos in Las Vegas. (2009)
- Transitioned military grade security technologies into residential protection.
- Mark transitioned his integration innovations into Physical security in 2012 by integrating traditionally non-networked security devices into a user-friendly interface. These included legacy alarm systems, facial & behavioral recognition, and nanoparticle vapors. (2012+)
- Helped implement new gaming regulations for Bahamas (2015)
- Mark led the technical certification, education, and enforcement of new laws in interactive online gaming in the Bahamas.
- Mark co-designed the technology for starting a new TV/Radio station in Bahamas including live streaming over the Internet.
- Developed systems for the first live lotto draw in Bahamas (2016)
- Assisted in the acquisition and reverse merger of a gaming company into a public stock exchange where he become a Board member and audit committee member in 2018
- 2019, 2020 – Assisted multiple businesses in recovery from malware & ransomware setting up security frameworks to help protect them from from future incidents.
- 2021 – CIO position with a tribal government, transforming the IT department and managing technology for multiple tribal assets and businesses.
- 2022 – Consulting with startups and established companies on funding, budgeting, market development, and strategy.
Mark has also worked with and advised several startups on legal formation, creating accounting systems, completing the proper government filings & registrations, attracting talent, contracting developers, building customer service organizations, and many other aspects of starting a business.
Mark has participated in the introduction of many networking systems, communications products, and technologies. He can see, understand, and clearly communicate complex technologies to technical and non-technical audiences.
Mark’s entrepreneurial spirit thrives on learning and adapting to a rapidly changing environment. This ability has led him to help others adjust and succeed through education and training. Mark has applied this ability to consulting in many industries, including hospitality, gaming, security, residential, retail, healthcare, manufacturing, education, public sector, service providers, and publishing.
Marks expertise includes:
• Experienced executive in managing and motivating a diverse team of technical, sales, and marketing professionals to strategically achieve initiatives and reach goals
• Collaborative and consultative analytic approach in identifying and solving problems utilizing existing and emerging technology and solutions
• Strong technical and solution driven approach in IT networks and systems, design and implementation
• Ability to critically analyze, document and communicate technical subjects and key ideas effectively to technical and non-technical audiences
• Financial background to create and manage budgets, financial plans and KPIs
• Industry knowledge specific to hospitality, real estate, casino gaming, technology, retail, telecomm and general business systems
• Relationships and experience with multiple manufacturers, industry suppliers, media and press
More info at Examples